This is a quick and easy side salad, especially for those summer cookouts. It’s also fun, almost certain to start a lively kitchen conversation. Or to get your guests wondering about your sanity. I credit my husband, and lots of wine, for this one.
- One cabbage head, chopped fairly finely. (That wrinkly cabbage is best, I think, because the dressing seems to cling better. And, if you wish, you can throw in some purple cabbage for color.)
- One jar of sunflower seeds.
- One small jar of chopped pimientos.
- Black pepper to taste.
- One bottle/jar, about 12 oz. of dressing. (I like Caesar, or one of the other white dressings, but try different things. Making your own dressing is certainly an option but I like to do this whole thing, start to finish, in 10 minutes.)
- One small sweet onion, finely chopped.
- One small can chopped or sliced olives. (Green look best, I think)
- A big handful of toasted almond slices, or any other nuts you like. (That’s if you don’t like sunflower seeds.)
- Pour chopped cabbage, nuts, pimientos and any optional ingredients into a plastic garbage bag. (We don’t have to tell you this should be a clean, pristine bag, right?)
- Shake vigorously to mix. (This is where people laugh, or roll their eyes. Go ahead, ham it up.)
- Add the dressing. Just pour it into the bag. Do it with a flourish.
- Shake again, vigorously. (If you have a catchy tune, now’s time to sing it.)
- Empty bag into a large bowl.
- (Expect applause.)